PHYSICAL EDUCATION 130 - History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Activity [3 units]
Three hours of lecture per week.
History and philosophy of sport and physical activity from antiquity to today. Special consideration is given to Olympism and the Olympic Games.
- Identify and describe the history of sport and physical activity from antiquity to today.
- Identify and relate the philosophical, physiological, psychological, sociological, political, and economic concepts for sport and physical activity.
- Evaluate potential career paths in sport and physical activity.
- Categorize and compare the issues, challenges, and future of sport and physical activity.
- Identify and describe the professional organizations publications, and professional leaders in sport and physical activity.
- Read, summarize, analyze, and appraise an article from a peer-reviewed journal and demonstrate how to cite properly the article's bibliographical information using the styles from the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Demonstrate how to research and to prepare a written, term paper on a topic in sport and physical activity.