PHYSICAL EDUCATION 130 - History and Philosophy of Sport and Physical Activity [3 units]
Three hours of lecture per week.
History and philosophy of sport and physical activity from antiquity to today. Special consideration is given to Olympism and the Olympic Games.
Requirements Class Fulfills:
Meets Historical Studies, L&S Breadth
- Identify and describe the history of sport and physical activity from antiquity to today.
- Identify and relate the philosophical, physiological, psychological, sociological, political, and economic concepts for sport and physical activity.
- Evaluate potential career paths in sport and physical activity.
- Categorize and compare the issues, challenges, and future of sport and physical activity.
- Identify and describe the professional organizations publications, and professional leaders in sport and physical activity.
- Read, summarize, analyze, and appraise an article from a peer-reviewed journal and demonstrate how to cite properly the article's bibliographical information using the styles from the American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Demonstrate how to research and to prepare a written, term paper on a topic in sport and physical activity.